The International Trappist Association grants a monastery the right to use the label "Authentic Trappist Product".
This label serves the consumer by guaranteeing the origin of Trappist products according to the following well-defined criteria:
- Products which carry this label are produced within the walls of the monastery or in the vicinity of the monastery.
- The monastic community determines the policies and provides the means of production. The whole process of production must clearly evidence the indisputable bond of subsidiarity, with the monastery benefiting from the production, and must be in accordance with the business practices proper to a monastic way of life.
- The profits are primarily intended to provide for the needs of the community or for social services.
The Association regulates the application of these criteria.
The following products presently carry the label 'Authentic Trappist Product':
- Trappist Beer from Achel in Belgium
- Trappist Beer and Trappist Cheese from Orval in Belgium
- Trappist Beer and Trappist Cheese from Scourmont-Lez-Chimay in Belgium
- Trappist Beer from Rochefort in Belgium
- Trappist Beer and Trappist Cheese from Westmalle in Belgium
- Trappist Beer from Westvleteren in Belgium
- Trappist Beer, bread, biscuits and chocolates from Koningshoeven in Tilburg, the Netherlands
- Trappist Liqueurs from Echt-Tegelen in the Netherlands
- Trappist Liqueurs and Trappist Beer from Stift Engelszell in Austria
- Trappist Cheese from Mont des Cats in France