Monasteries | Echt - Tegelen (NL)
Pepinusbrug 6a ~ NL - 6102 RJ Echt
tel. +31 (0)475 33 31 89
Trappists are to be found at two locations in Dutch Limburg: Echt and Tegelen. Together they form one abbey but each with their own tradition and persuasion.
In 1883, Trappist monks established themselves on an isolated farmstead called "Lilbosch", in the district of Echt, between Roermond and Sittard. On this little farmstead, the monks built their monastery, which officially became an abbey in 1912. The official name is "Abdij O. L. Vrouw van de H. Joseph", or "the Abbey of Our Lady of Saint Joseph", but the old farmstead continued to be commonly known as Lilbosch Abbey.
The neighbouring marshland was largely developed into a big farm, which is still the main source of income. With great care for the countryside and the environment and with consideration for the varied flora and fauna present, the monks manage and work their territory and feed themselves as much as possible with their own traditional products.
The Trappist settlement in Tegelen near Venlo dates from 1884, when a few monks from the Westmalle abbey in Belgium settled on heathland, the "Uelingsheide", and built a monastery there, which became an abbey in 1933.
When it became clear that the Uelingsheide-Tegelen abbey community could not survive on its own, the decision was made in 2002 to join the much more vitable abbey community of Lilbosch-Echt.
The monks of Tegelen started trading in sacramental wine in 1898. They also developed exclusive monastery liqueurs. This served as the basis for "Uelingsheide Wine Distillery".
The monks of Echt continued this distillery until 2015, but then decided to concentrate in the future only on agricultural activities.